- Kunin C.M.
- Burwen D.R.
- Banerjee S.N.
- Gaynes R.P.
- the National Nosocomial Infections Surveillance system
- Centers for Disease Control
- Jarvis W.R.
- Edwards J.R.
- Culver D.H.
- the National Nosocomial Infections Surveillance System
- et al.
- Vincent J.L.
- Bihari D.J.
- Suter P.H.
- et al.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribers receive full online access to your subscription and archive of back issues up to and including 2002.
Content published before 2002 is available via pay-per-view purchase only.
Subscribe:Subscribe to Critical Care Clinics
- American Society of Clinical Oncology recommendations for the use of hematopoietic colony stimulating factors: Evidence-based clinical practice guidelines.J Clin Oncol. 1994; 12: 2471-2508
- ASM, Washington1995: 23 Report of the ASM Task Force on antibiotic resistance.
- Guidelines for the initial management of adults with community-acquired pneumoniae: Diagnosis, assessment of severity and initial antimicrobial therapy.Am Rev Respir Dis. 1993; 148: 1418-1426
- Hospital acquired pneumoniae in adults: Diagnosis, assessment of severity, initial antimicrobial therapy and preventative strategies: A consensus statement.Am Rev Respir Crit Care Med. 1996; 153: 1711-1725
- Nosocomial Legionnaires' disease caused by aerosolized tap water from respiratory devices.J Infect Dis. 1982; 146: 460-467
- Secular trends in nosocomial primary bloodstream infections in the United States 1980–1989.Am J Med. 1991; 91: 86S-89S
- Pneumococcal resistance to β-lactam antibiotics: A global geographic overview.Microbiol Drug Resistance. 1995; 1: 115-120
- Tuberculosis in patients with human immunodeficiency virus infection.N Engl J Med. 1991; 325: 1882-1884
- Additional DNA in methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus and molecular cloning of mec-specific DNA.J Bacteriol. 1986; 165: 373-378
- Identification and biotyping of clinical isolates of Acinetobacter..Ann Inst Pasteur/Microbiol. 1987; 138: 569-578
- Emergence of drug-resistant pneumococcal infections in the United States.JAMA. 1994; 271: 1831-1835
- Management of deep Candida infections in surgical and intensive care unit patient.Intensive Care Med. 1994; 20: 522-528
- Transferable enzymatic resistance to third-generation cephalosporins during nosocomial outbreak of multiresistant Klebsiella pneumoniae..Lancet. 1987; 2: 302-306
- Intestinal decontamination for control of nosocomial multiresistant gram-negative bacilli.Ann Intern Med. 1989; 110: 873-881
- Ceftazidime resistance among selected nosocomial gram-negative bacilli in the United States.J Infect Dis. 1994; 170: 1622-1625
- A functional classification scheme for β-lactamases and its correlation with molecular structure.Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 1995; 39: 1211-1233
- Imipenem resistance in Pseudomonas aeruginosa resulting from diminished expression of an outer membrane protein.Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 1987; 32: 195-201
- Imipenem/cilastatin therapy of serious infections: A US multicenter noncomparative trial.Clin Ther. 1985; 7: 225-238
- Quality assessment of intensive care units.Current opinions in critical care 1996. 1996; 2: 319-325
- Initial therapy for tuberculosis in the era of multidrug resistance.MMWR. 1993; 42: 1-8
- Nosocomial enterococci resistant to vancomycin in the United States.MMWR. 1993; 42: 597-599
- Enterobacter bacteremia: Clinical features and emergence of antibiotic resistance during therapy.Ann Intern Med. 1991; 115: 585-590
- Cross-resistance to fluoroquinolones in multiple-antibiotic resistant (Mar) Escherichia coli selected by tetracycline or chloramphenicol: Decreased drug accumulation associated with membrane changes in addition to ompF reduction.Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 1989; 33: 1318-1325
- Prospective randomized comparison of imipenem monotherapy with imipenem plus netilmicin for treatment of severe infections in nonneutropenic patients.Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 1994; 38: 1309-1313
- Ciprofloxacin resistance among nosocomial Pseudomonas aeruginosa and Staphylococcus aureus in the United States.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 1995; 16: 71-75
- Antibiotic treatment of sepsis.Med Clin North Am. 1995; 79: 551-558
- Selective digestive decontamination by erythromycin base in a polyvalent intensive care unit.Intensive Care Med. 1993; 19: 191-196
- Vancomycin-resistant Enterococcus faecium bacteremia: Risk factors for infection.Clin Infect Dis. 1995; 20: 1126-1133
- Management of infections caused by antibiotic-resistant Streptococcus pneumoniae..N Engl J Med. 1994; 331: 377-382
- Secondary carriage with multi-resistant Acinetobacter baumannii and Klebsiella pneumoniae in an adult ICU population: Relationship with nosocomial infections and mortality.J Hosp Infect. 1996; 34: 279-289
- Trends in methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus in United States hospitals.Infect Dis Clin Practice. 1993; 2: 452-455
Gaynes R: Epidemiology of antimicrobial resistance among hospital-acquired pathogens. 34th Interscience Conference on Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy. Orlando, FL, Oct 4–7, 1994.
- Amplifiable resistance to tetracyclines, chloramphenicol and other antibiotics in Escherichia coli: Involvement of a non-plasmid-determined efflux of tetracycline.J Bacteriol. 1983; 155: 531-540
- Strategies to prevent and control the emergence and spread of antimicrobial-resistant microorganisms in hospitals: A challenge to hospital leadership.JAMA. 1996; 275: 234-240
- Characterization of ceftriaxone-resistant Enterobacteriaceae: A multicentre study in 26 French hospitals.J Antimicrob Chemother. 1993; 32: 595-603
- Antimicrobial resistance among lower respiratory tract isolates of streptococcus pneumoniae: results of a 1992–1993 western Europe and USA collaborative surveillance study.J Antimicrob Chemother. 1996; 38: 71-84
- Cross-resistance to nalidixic acid, trimethoprim and chloramphenicol associated with alterations in outer membrane proteins of Klebsiella, Enterobacter and Serratia..J Infect Dis. 1985; 151: 501-507
- OXA-11, an extended-spectrum variant of OXA-10 (PSE-2) β-lactamase from Pseudomonas aeruginosa..Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 1993; 37: 1637-1644
Hauer K, Axelrod P, Fekete T, et al: Outbreak investigation of vancomycin-resistant enterococci: A case-control study. 32d Interscience Conference on Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy, Anaheim, CA, Oct 11–14, 1992.
- Elimination of nasal carriage of methicillin resistant Staphylococcus aureus with mupirocin during a hospital outbreak.J Antimicrob Chemother. 1988; 22: 377-384
- Approaches to limiting emergence of antimicrobial resistance in bacteria in human populations.in: The WHO Scientific Working Group on Management of Bacterial Resistance to Antimicrobial Agents. WHO, GeneveNovember 29, December 2, 1994: 26
- Infection control in intensive care units: UK National Survey.Br Med J. 1992; 68: 216-220
- Activities of β-lactam antibiotics against Escherichia coli strains producing extended-spectrum β-lactamases.Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 1990; 35: 858-862
- More extended-spectrum β-lactamases.Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 1991; 35: 1697-1704
- Antibiotic susceptibility in aerobic gram-negative bacilli isolated in Intensive Care Units in 39 French teaching hospitals.Intensive Care Med. 1996; 22: 1057-1065
- Nosocomial infection rates in adult and pediatric intensive care units in the United States.Am J Med. 1991; 91: 185S-191S
- Emergence of teicoplanin resistance during therapy of Staphylococcus aureus endocarditis.J Infect Dis. 1990; 162: 103-108
- A cluster of vancomycin-resistant Enterococcus faecium in an intensive care unit.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 1992; 13: 195-200
- Epidemiology and mortality risk of vancomycin-resistant enterococcal bloodstream infection.J Infect Dis. 1995; 172: 993-1000
- Transferable resistance to cefotaxime, cefoxitin, cefamandole and cefuroxime in clinical isolates of Klebsiella pneumoniae and Serratia marcescens..Infection. 1983; 11: 315-317
- Antibiotic use and antibiotic resistance in the intensive care unit: Are we curing or increasing disease?.Heart Lung. 1994; 23: 363-367
- Resistance to antimicrobial drugs: A world wide calamity.Ann Intern Med. 1993; 118: 557-561
- Epidémiologie des infections nosocomiales à entérocoques.Med Mal Inf. 1994; 24: 199-206
- Association of two mechanisms in clinical isolate of Enterobacter cloacae with high level resistance to imipenem.Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 1991; 35: 1093-1098
- Hospital-acquired infection with vancomycin-resistant Enterococcus faecium transmitted by electronic thermometers.Ann Intern Med. 1992; 117: 112-116
- Nosocomial acquisition of multiresistant Acinetobacter baumanii: Risk factors and prognosis.Clin Infect Dis. 1995; 20: 790-796
- Treatment of CAPD-peritonitis due to glycopeptide-resistant Enterococcus faecium with quinupristin/dalfopristin.Lancet. 1994; 344: 1025-1026
- Minimizing antimicrobial resistance in hospital bacteria: Can switching or cycling drugs help?.Infect Control. 1986; 7: 573-576
- Do intensive hospital antibiotic control programs prevent the spread of antibiotic resistance?.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 1994; 15: 478-483
- Decreased teicoplanin-susceptibility of methicillin-resistant strains of Staphylococcus aureus..J Infect Dis. 1995; 171: 1646-1650
- Trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole compared with vancomycin for the treatment of Staphylococcus aureus infections.Ann Intern Med. 1992; 117: 390-398
- Subspecialty clinics: Infectious diseases. Xanthomonas maltophilia: An emerging nosocomial pathogen.Mayo Clin Proc. 1989; 64: 1097-1104
- Resistance occurring after fluoroquinolone therapy of experimental Pseudomonas aeruginosa peritonitis.Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 1987; 31: 1803-1808
- Nosocomial legionellosis associated with use of oxygen bubble humidifiers and underwater chest drains.J Hosp Infect. 1987; 10: 47-50
- Methicillin resistant Staphylococcus aureus as a community organism.Clin Infect Dis. 1995; 21: 1308-1312
- Infection control practices in Intensive Care Units of 14 European countries.Intensive Care Med. 1996; 22: 872-879
- Vancomycin-resistant enterococci and methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus: The gram-positive challenges.Curr Opin Infect Dis. 1996; 9: 256-260
- β-lactamase-producing enterococci.Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 1992; 36: 1408-1412
- Gyr A and gyr B mutations in quinolone-resistant strains of Escherichia coli..Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 1989; 32: 254-255
- Nosocomial enterococci resistant to vancomycin—United States, 1989–1993.MMWR. 1993; 42: 597-599
- Biochemical properties of a carbapenem-hydrolyzing β-lactamase from Enterobacter cloacae and cloning of its gene in Escherichia coli..Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 1993; 37: 939-946
- Sequence analysis of the PER-1 extended-spectrum β-lactamase from Pseudomonas aeruginosa and comparison with class A β-lactamases.Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 1994; 33: 104-114
- Chloramphenicol for the treatment of vancomycin-resistant enterococcal infections.Clin Infect Dis. 1995; 20: 1137-1144
- Resistance to penicillin and cephalosporin and mortality from severe pneumococcal pneumonia in Barcelona, Spain.N Engl J Med. 1995; : 2171-2175
- Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus in U.S. hospitals, 1975–1991.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 1992; 13: 582-586
- Novel plasmid-mediated β-lactamase (MIR-1) conferring resistance to oxyimino- and a-methoxy β-lactams in clinical isolates of Klebsiella pneumoniae..Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 1990; 34: 2200-2209
- Management of meningitis caused by penicillin-resistant Streptococcus pneumoniae..Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 1995; 39: 2171-2175
- ARI-1: β-lactamase-mediated imipenem resistance in Acinetobacter baumanii..Int J Antimicrob Agents. 1993; 2: 81-88
- Emergence of resistance after therapy with antibiotics used alone or combined in a murine model.J Antimicrob Chemother. 1986; 17: 11-18
- Antibiotic resistance of clinical isolates of Enterococcus in Italy.Clin Infect Dis. 1992; 15: 490-494
- Extended-spectrum β-lactamases.Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 1989; 33: 1131-1136
- Treatment of severe staphylococcal infections with cefotaxime and fosfomycin in combination.J Antimicrob Chemother. 1984; 14: 277-284
- Implementing antibiotic practice guidelines through computer-assisted decision support: Clinical and financial outcomes.Ann Intern Med. 1996; 124: 884-890
- Recommendations for Preventing the Spread of Vancomycin Resistance.MMWR. 1995; 44: 1-3
- Ceftazidime monotherapy versus ceftriaxone tobramycin for serious hospital acquired gram-negative infections. Antibiotics Study Group.Clin Infect Dis. 1995; 20: 1217-1218
- Selection of multiple antibiotic resistance by quinolones, β-lactams, and aminoglycosides with special reference to cross-resistance between unrelated drug classes.Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 1984; 26: 797-801
- Major trends in the microbial etiology of nosocomial infection.Am J Med. 1991; 91: 72S-75S
- Changes in antimicrobial agent usage resulting from interactions among clinical pharmacy, the infectious disease division, and the microbiology laboratory.Diagn Microbiol Infect Dis. 1993; 16: 255-264
- Klebsiella pneumoniae and other Enterobacteriaceae producing novel plasmid-mediated β-lactamases markedly active against third-generation cephalosporins: Epidemiologic studies.Rev Infect Dis. 1988; 10: 850-859
- Resistance to cefotaxime and seven other β-lactams in members of the family Enterobacteriaceae: A 3 year survey in France.Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 1992; 36: 1677-1681
- Decrease transmission with extended spectrum beta-lactamases in an intensive care unit by nursing re-organization.J Hosp Infect. 1995; 31: 89-97
Soumerai SB, Lipton HL: Evaluating and improving physician prescribing. Pharmacoepidemiology, ed 2, pp 395–412, 1994
- A hospital antibiotic policy resulting from a simple quality assurance activity.Aust Clin Rev. 1993; 13: 69-73
- Effect of selective digestive decontamination with colistin and erythromycin in the control of multiresistant Acinetobacter baumanii ICU outbreak.Clin Intensive Care. 1993; 4: 42
Van der Auwera P, Defresnes N, Grenier P, et al: Emergence of resistant Enterococcus faecium and coagulase negative staphylococci in fecal flora of volunteers receiving oral teicoplanin. 30th Interscience Conference on Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy, Atlanta, GA, Oct 21–24, 1990.
- Selective decontamination of the digestive tract (SDD) in intensive care patients: A critical evaluation of the clinical, bacteriological and epidemiological benefits.J Hosp Infect. 1991; 18: 261-277
- Clinical isolates of Escherichia coli producing TRI β-lactamases: Novel TEM-enzymes conferring resistance to β-lactamases inhibitors.J Antimicrob Chemother. 1992; 30: 449-462
- Characteristics and antibiotic therapy of adult meningitis due to penicillin-resistant pneumococci.Am J Med. 1988; 84: 839-846
- The prevalence of nosocomial infection in Intensive Care Units in Europe: Results of the European prevalence of infection in Intensive Care (EPIC) study.JAMA. 1995; 274: 639-644
- Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus in Europe.Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis. 1994; 13: 50-55
- Transferable imipenem resistance in Pseudomonas aeruginosa..Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 1991; 35: 147-151
- Stool carriage, clinical isolation, and mortality during an outbreak of vancomycin-resistant Enterococcus in hospitalized medical and/or surgical patients.Clin Infect Dis. 1995; 21: 45-50
- Biochemical characterization of a β-lactamase that hydrolyzes penems and carbapenems from two Serratia marcescens isolates.Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 1990; 34: 755-758
- Emergence of clinical isolates of Escherichia coli producing TEM-1 derivatives or an OXA-1 β-lactamase conferring resistance to β-lactamase inhibitors.Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 1994; 38: 1085-1089
Address reprint requests to Jacques Acar, MD, Fondation Hôpital Saint-Joseph, 185 rue Raymond Losserand, 75674 Paris cedex 14, France