This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
Shoulder dystocia, uterine inversion, and prolapse of the umbilical cord are three uncommon complications of the intrapartum period. These complications share several common characteristics in that they are rare, difficult to predict, and can result in significant morbidity and mortality. This article describes the etiology, predisposing factors, and methods of management of these complications.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribers receive full online access to your subscription and archive of back issues up to and including 2002.
Content published before 2002 is available via pay-per-view purchase only.
Subscribe:Subscribe to Critical Care Clinics
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Risk factors for shoulder dystocia.Obstet Gynecol. 1985; 66: 762
- Shoulder dystocia—a clinical study of 56 cases.Aust NZ J Ostet Gynaecol. 1988; 28: 107
- Shoulder dystocia: A complication of fetal macrosomia and prolonged second stage of labor with midpelvic delivery.Obstet Gynecol. 1978; 52: 524
- Early third-trimester ultrasound screening in gestational diabetes to determine the risk of macrosomia and labor dystocia at term.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 1987; 157: 703
- Acute puerperal uterine inversion.J Reprod Med. 1989; 34: 173
- Birth associated injury.Clin Perinatol. 1981; 8: 111
- Difficulties in delivery, including shoulder dystocia and malpresentations of the fetus.Clin Obstet Gynecol. 1976; 19: 577
- Perinatal characteristics of uncomplicated postdate pregnancies.Obstet Gynecol. 1987; 69: 296
- Prolapse of the umbilical cord during labour.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 1951; 62: 52
- An alternate maneuver for management of shoulder dystocia.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 1983; 145: 882
- Shoulder dystocia: Predictors and outcome.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 1987; 156: 334
- Shoulder dystocia: A fetal-physician risk.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 1987; 156: 1408
- Shoulder dystocia: Risk factors and prevention.Aust NZ J Obstet Gynaecol. 1988; 28: 107
- The treatment of chronic uterine invasion by abdominal hysterotomy, with a successful case.Br Med J. 1901; 2: 294
- Shoulder dystocia.Clin Obstet Gynecol. 1990; 33: 526
- Shoulder dystocia: 15 years’ experience in a community hospital.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 1982; 144: 162
- Acute inversion of the uterus.Boston Med Surg J. 1921; 184: 376
- Maternal obesity and pregnancy.Surg Gynecol Obstet. 1987; 164: 431
- Management of labor with umbilical cord prolapse: A 5-year study.Obstet Gynecol. 1988; 72: 278
- Puerperal inversion of the uterus.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 1975; 123: 51
- Measurement of fetal shoulder width with computed tomography in diabetic women.Obstet Gynecol. 1987; 70: 941
- MR Imaging of uterine inversion.J Comput Assist Tomogr. 1989; 13: 357
- Inversion of the uterus. A report of three caces and an analysis of 233 recently recorded cases.Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology of the British Empire. 1925; 32: 280
- Large-for-gestational-age neonates: Anthropometric reasons for shoulder dystocia.Obstet Gynecol. 1982; 60: 417
- Acute puerperal inversion of the uterus.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 1981; 141: 187
- The Zavanelli maneuver: A potentially revolutionary method for the resolution of shoulder dystocia.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 1985; 152: 479
- The Zavanelli maneuver extended: Progression of a revolutionary method.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 1988; 158: 1347
- Shoulder dystocia: Its incidence and associated risk factors.Int J Gynaecol Obstet. 1988; 26: 65
- Prolapse of the umbilical cord.Obstet Gynecol. 1970; 36: 502
- Puerperal uterine inversion.Obstet Gynecol. 1989; 73: 567
- Management of acute and subacute puerperal inversion of the uterus.Obstet Gynecol. 1980; 55: 12
- A principle of physics as applicable to shoulder delivery.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 1943; 45: 796
- Predisposing and risk factors of umbilical cord prolapse.Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand. 1985; 64: 567
© 1991 Elsevier Inc. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.