This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
Burnout may be one of the most common problems affecting critical care physicians. Burnout can best be defined as disillusionment and a flattening of the effervescence of life.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribers receive full online access to your subscription and archive of back issues up to and including 2002.
Content published before 2002 is available via pay-per-view purchase only.
Subscribe:Subscribe to Critical Care Clinics
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Stresses and coping in ICU nursing: I. A review.Gen. Hosp. Psych. 1981; 3: 119-127
- Psychiatric consultation in a coronary care unit.Ann. Intern. Med. 1971; 75: 9-14
- Stress on the nurse and therapist in the intensive-care unit and the coronary-care unit.Heart Lung. 1975; 4: 252-259
- Burn-out, the organizational menace.Train. Dev. J. 1977; 3: 26-27
- Staff bum-out.J. Soc. Issues. 1974; 30: 159-165
- The psychiatrist’s view of the ICU: Vital signs stable but outlook guarded.Psychiatr. Ann. 1976; 6: 467-474
- The professional burnout syndrome.Psychiatr. Opinion. 1979; 16: 12-17
- The psychological stress of intensive care unit nursing.Psychosom. Med. 1972; 34: 109-118
- Psychodvnamic considerations in the neonatal ICU.Crit. Care Med. 1977; 5: 62-65
- The function of liaison service in medical education: Psychotherapeutic implications for the non-psychiatrist.Psychother. Psychosom. 1973; 2: 220-221
- The intensive care unit in adults: Coronary care and general medical/surgical.Adv. Psychosom. Med. 1980; 10: 1-29
- Psychiatric view of the intensive care unit.Br. Med. I. 1969; 7: 108-110
- Psychiatric consultation in an intensive care unit.J.A.M.A. 1965; 194: 633-637
- Letter to Phineas Barnes, March 1831.in: Strauss M.B. Familiar Medical Quotations. Brown and Co, Boston, Little1968
- Burnout in the neonatal intensive care unit.Pediatrics. 1980; 65: 1161-1165
- Burned-out.Human Behav. 1976; 5: 16-22
- The psychiatrist in the surgical intensive care unit.Arch. Surg. 1976; 111: 118-119
- Critical problem of critical care burnout.Crit. Care Med. 1982; 10: 200
- Burnout: Job hazard for health workers.Hospitals. 1979; 53: 87-94
- Characteristics of staff burnout in mental health settings.Hosp. Commun. Psychiatr. 1978; 29: 233-237
- Psychiatric consultation with MICU nurses.Heart Lung. 1977; 6: 497-504
- Burnout: The elaboration of a concept.Am. J. Nurs. 1979; 79: 2108-2111
- Stresses on the nurse in an ICU.J.A.M.A. 1969; 208: 332-334
- Stresses associated with ICU’s affect patients, families, staff.Hospitals. 1975; 49: 62-63
- Burnout: Stresses in consultation-liaison psychiatry.Psychosomatics. 1981; 22: 744-751
© 1986 Elsevier Inc. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.